Road Design & Defects
In many ways safer road design can make transportation safer for motorists, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians. Federal and state transportation guidelines stress the importance of good design that is both safe for road users and sensitive to the surrounding environment.Safe design requires that road users must have sufficient time to be able to see, process and react to information. The principles are the same for all road users, however, the standards are more critical for motorcyclists as errors can have more severe consequences.
A safe road environment should:
- Give consistent messages to road users.
- Provide no surprises
- Provide a controlled release of information
- Warn road users of any possible substandard features
- Inform road users of the type of unusual conditions that are likely to be encountered
- Guide road users through unusual sections of road
- Control road users through conflict points or areas of conflict
Who Is Responsible for the Design & Defects of State Roads & Highways?
Local municipalities and state agencies are responsible to maintain and to control tens of thousands of miles under their jurisdiction These agencies have a legal responsibility for dangerous and defective conditions that exist on the roadways under their jurisdiction.
What Types of Hazardous Road Design & Defects Cause Automobile Accidents?
Automobile & Motorcycle accidents are often caused by bad roads and defective conditions of state roadways. A number of road design situations that cause automobile accidents, which include but are not limited to the following, may define dangerous & defective roadways:
- Inadequate or insufficient notification of an impending condition such as construction zone
- Inadequate or insufficient notification of an impending condition such as merging traffic
- Inadequate or insufficient notification of an impending condition such roads affected by weather conditions
- Reduction of shoulder or shoulder drop-off
- Roads poorly marked with highway division status, line striping and edge lines
- Excessive oil and/or gravel due to tar and road maintenance procedures
What Types of Hazardous Road Design & Defects Cause Motorcycle Accidents?
Some of the most common design hazards include:
- Adverse camber/ cross fall (slope of the road)
- Blind corner
- Lack of appropriate warning
- Glare from poorly sited street lights
- Poor sight lines
- Speed hump
- Poor delineation of vehicle path
- Barrier curbing
- Low curbing
- Cobble stones or pavers
- Traffic islands that are not lit or delineated for night visibility
- Uncovered drainage pits
Who Is Liable?
Most state laws allow you to collect, if you are the victim of defective or dangerous roadways, from either the local municipality or the state itself. The local municipality or the state may hold the sole responsibility for injuries sustained while traveling on their roads.
Filing a Claim
You will need legal representation familiar with state and local guidelines which must be followed. The Law Office Of Cameron Brock has many years of experience and resources for handling road design defects cases involving automobile and motorcycle accident cases. Often engineers need to be hired along with accident reconstruction experts, or experts in another field will be hired to prove and win these cases. Within six months from the date of the accident, that agency must be put on written notice. Because of the complexity and time limits usually associated with these cases, it is imperative that collection of evidence is immediate.
Limits for economic damages vary from state to state and local municipality to local municipality.
For further information see the related sections:
Legal Representation – California Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been unfairly treated by insurance companies, sustained a serious personal injury or have lost a loved one because of negligent or wrongful conduct in California and need representation by an experienced trial attorney, Cameron Brock has over 35 years experience in Personal Injury Law:
- an experienced attorney in establishing and proving personal injury damages,
- a tough negotiator who has a successful record against the largest insurance companies,
- will underwrite the costs of a private investigator, doctors, and trial experts necessary to win your case,
- will fund & document “A Day In The Life Of The Individual” for traumatically injured individuals with life altering injuries and damage.
- has the insight, empathy, and expertise to determine the damages recoverable in the action
- is familiar with the right experts who will evaluate the client’s losses,
- knows how to document and evidence the clients’s losses for a judge, jury, and/or claims adjuster.
Our Law Office has sufficient funds to underwrite the cost of expensive litigation, and we are determined to commit all resources toward the goal of obtaining a fair and just recovery for our clients.
- Our Law Office will advance all costs and has the capital to fully fund the expenses of your case.
- Our Law Office will make extensive efforts to pursue insurance coverage that will provide just compensation for the plaintiff’s injuries and damages.
- You pay no money out of your pocket.
- We don’t get paid until you get paid!
- You don’t have to come to us, we’ll come to you!
Millions of dollars in Trial Verdicts and Settlements have been recovered for our clients for Personal Injury cases.
Our Verdicts and Settlement Results speak for themselves!
Do you believe that you have suffered injury from a vehicular accident arising from road defects? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your hardship, but you will need an accomplished, proven personal injury attorney who knows the process and can help guide you down the path to a successful verdict or settlement. Here at the Law Offices of Burg and Brock, Inc., we have extensive experience in cases involving alleged road defects.
Cameron Brock, one of Southern California’s most renowned personal injury attorneys, founded Burg and Brock over 15 years ago. His goal was to establish a personal injury law firm that offered superior service and results for people from all walks of life. Years later, that dream has been realized. Burg and Brock has handled over 5,000 cases, earning a 98% success rate and over $100 million in compensation for its diverse array of clients. Besides cases involving road defects, we have also taken on cases that stemmed from product liability, spinal injuries, brain injuries, dog bites, and a wide variety of other personal injury issues.
If you are interested in learning more about our trial experience with cases involving road defects, contact us for a free consultation. We are selective about our cases, pursuing only those with legitimate legal underpinnings.
Defective Road Design Lawyer
The key to finding the very best defective road design lawyer is extensive research. Find out how much experience an attorney has in this area. How many defective road design-related has he and his law firm handled in the past? Also, find out what kind of a track record the attorney has with personal law injury in general? What do his past clients have to say about his results? Finally, find out how much this attorney will cost. A high caliber defective road design lawyercan easily charge at least $300 per hour. Some lawyers, however, are willing to work on a contingency, or NO RECOVERY, NO FEE basis.
Here at the Law Offices of Burg and Brock, Inc., our team of seasoned legal professionals has handled over 5,000 personal injury, including cases involving injuries that arose from defective road design. In the 16 years since our firm’s founding, we have accrued a 98% success rate and won over $100 million on behalf of our clients. Our founder, Cameron Brock, is a renowned defective road design lawyer with a reputation for an aggressive, take-no-prisoners style in the courtroom. Brock and his associates work on a contingency basis, allowing people from all walks of life to potentially afford a prestigious defective road design lawyer.